ο 1 tbsp butter
ο 1/3 cup monkfruit sugar (or sugar of choice)
ο 1 lemon
ο 1 orange
ο 1/2 cup tart unsweetened cherry juice
ο 2 cups pitted cherries
ο 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (or 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot)
ο pinch cinnamon
ο pinch nutmeg
ο 1 oz cherry liqueur (I used my DIY low sugar cherry liqueur, refer to that video for recipe)
1. In a frying pan add butter and melt over medium heat.
2. Add lemon and orange zest to butter and sauté 1 minute.
3. Add sugar to the pan, cook on medium heat for 1 -2 minutes until sugar dissolves.
4. Add juice of lemon and orange and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg, continue to cook.
6. Add cherry juice and sprinkle xanthan gum. Stir to dissolve *(if using cornstarch or arrow root, add to cold juice first, stir to dissolve before adding to pan).
7. Cook until sauce thickens slightly–appx. 2 minutes.
8. Add cherries to pan and cook for a few minutes until softened.
9. Finally, add the cherry liqueur and cook for 20-30 seconds to cook off alcohol.
Serve hot cherries over vanilla ice cream (I used DIY diabetic friendly ice cream in a jar- refer to that video for instructions on how to make it).
Yield 2–4 servings | Submitted by: Suzy Rebelo