In order to answer the question, there are a few key points that we need to clarify first:
1. Habitat Restore is the social enterprise of Habitat for Humanity South Georgian Bay. Social enterprises seek to maximize profits while maximizing benefits to society and the environment.
- Proceeds from ReStore help fund Habitat SGB’s homebuilding activity for families in need of a safe, decent, and affordable place to live.
- Habitat ReStore reduces the need for the production of new materials and the consumption of natural resources. As a result, it extends the value of household items, eliminating unnecessary waste, and ultimately decreasing our collective carbon footprint.
2.Our pricing structure is specific to the Habitat ReStore in South Georgian Bay.
3. The donations that we accept and sell tax-free to the community are gently-used or brand new.
4. Like other retailers, we have operational expenses such as staffing, mortgage and utilities.
There are two main goals that we attempt to achieve through the pricing of ReStore items.
1. Earn as much revenue as possible for the charity so that we can help more working families in need of a decent place to live.
2. Provide unique furniture and home improvement items to the community at a reasonable price (we are not just a cheap alternative to traditional retailers). Many people use our ReStores to find items that they can’t find at other stores, to experience the past in a new way, and find items for DIY projects such as upcycling and repurposing.
Although we’re not perfect, we strive to price the items that we sell at a reasonable price, depending on the quality and condition of the item.
We accomplish this by
• Assessing the condition of the items we accept and receive.
• Researching how much the items or equivalent items sell for at other retailers.
• Appraising items on initial assessment and once again by store staff upon arrival.
• Basing initial pricing on volume, i.e. how many of these types of items we have in stock.
• If we can’t find the price, we base it on our ReStore sales experience and how in-demand the items are at any given time.
When you shop at Habitat ReStore you support Habitat for Humanity South Georgian Bay, the families we serve, and the environment. It’s a win-win-win! If you have any questions about our pricing, please talk to one of our Habitat ReStore staff.
Habitat ReStores are independently owned stores operated by local Habitat for Humanity organizations. ReStores accept donations and sell a constantly changing inventory of diverse, high-quality merchandise to the public at a fraction of the retail price while diverting reusable household items and building materials from area landfills.
Sales of donated items help Habitat for Humanity partner with local families to build safe and affordable homes in your community and around the world – a good deal for you, your community and the environment. Together, we can help families achieve the strength, stability and self-reliance they need to build a better future while creating stronger neighbourhoods.