Backyard pools provide a way to cool off and enjoy a taste of luxury without having to travel. Backyard pools provided even more convenience and a welcome respite in 2020, as many public pools were closed in response to social distancing restrictions put in place during the pandemic.
Many homeowners realize that touching up the landscaping around the pool can provide the finishing touch to their backyard retreats after installing pools. Not all landscaping is the same, and homeowners should choose plants that look beautiful, are tolerant to pool splash-out, and won’t outgrow the area. A plant that is attractive at two feet tall can grow rapidly and drop leaves or other debris into the pool.
When selecting options for pool landscaping, there are some considerations to keep in mind:
• Choose plants that will provide privacy.
• Know which kind of climate a plant needs before purchasing it. Tropical plants may be fitting poolside, but will they endure when the season is over?
• Design according to the theme of the home, as plants should complement the existing style. Modern foliage may not blend well with a home styled after a traditional cottage.
• Decide whether you can accept spreading or trailing plants that can cascade over retaining walls and other infrastructure.
• Look at trees that won’t drop too many leaves, flowers, or fruit into the water.
• Think about having layers of plants to soften the landscape, making a small pool seem larger and more luxurious.
• Don’t overlook the possibility of a lawn abutting pavers or concrete surrounding a pool, as it can soften the edges and keep spaces open and inviting.
• Incorporate herbs or fragrant plants, which can transform a pool day into a spa experience. Consider low-maintenance lavender as an option.
Pool landscaping must marry a variety of different features and plant requirements. As a result, a professional consultation may be the route to take. Landscape architects will have the know-how to select plant varieties that will be tolerant, beautiful, and fulfill homeowners’ wishes.
Backyard pools can make a backyard retreat that much more enjoyable. Landscaping offers the softness and beauty that adds a finishing touch to poolside retreats.